Saturday, December 25, 2010

It's a Christmas Miracle!

I only have a short time to post before we go spend time with extended families so here goes!

Christmas is an absolutely wonderful holiday. I love the feeling of love and happiness that comes from spending time with family, serving others and enjoying buying gifts for other people. Christmas Eve, we always go to my grandma's house and have dinner and read a Christmas story together. Last night was a little different because we visited my Grandpa in Rehab after he just had hip replacement surgery, then we went to their house. After visiting at Grandma's, we came home and watched It's A Wonderful Life. This morning, I think we slept later than we ever have on Christmas. Someone woke me up at 8 to go open presents and my parents were already up. Usually, we run into their room and beg them to get up.

Christmas this year was a little different because money has been kind of tight. None of us minded since we all know that Christmas is more than presents. However, my mom was having a really hard time because she wanted to buy us things and she couldn't. When we were getting ready to go down and open our presents, my mom said, "There are presents here that I didn't put here." Then she asked my Dad if he knew where they came from. He didn't know either. Me, being a little cheesy said, "It's a Christmas Miracle!" About six times. Everytime I said it, my older sister would sing, "Fa who dor ace, ba who dor ay" (The who's song from The Grinch). We thought that was pretty hilarious. Anyway, we first passed around presents that we bought for each other.Then, we tried to figure out where the mystery gifts came from. After talking and asking questions, I asked my younger brother (He's 17) if it was him. He is a terrible liar. He said it wasn't, but we could all tell it was. I opened the present that he had secretly bought. Inside it was a wrapped box. I opened that to a gift bag. Inside it was a card. I opened the card to $80 cash and a note that said, "Here is $80 towards a new cell phone :) Merry Christmas!" Now, if you have seen my cellphone, you know I need a new one. It's a joke... He bought both my Dad and older brother a ticket to a really nice Ski Resort. (Those are NOT cheap) My older sister got a new camera from him, my mom got a nice food processor since she has wanted one. My little sister got an ottoman for her room. My mom just cried. She cried really hard and as I hugged my Santa Brother, he cried too. Soon, all the girls and him were crying. My brother has been working over time like crazy at McDonald's to earn the money to spoil all of us. He must have spent some where around $400 dollars for everyone. He is the sweetest little brother anyone could ever have. He DEFINITELY wins Brother of the Year. So in all reality, this was the best Christmas EVER because of my little brother. That act of love and kindness cannot be beat. I tear up even now thinking of all the time he spent to get the money for this, how he has been listening to everyone to see just what they need or want.

He kept everything at my aunts house until late last night. Then he snuck down at five in the morning to set them up next to our piles of presents. My Aunt knew what he was doing so her an my Uncle bought him something so he would have a nice present too. He got a nice stereo since his is run down and overused. Christmas isn't about the presents though. It's about the service that people do. The acts of kindness that people do and the love that is shown. My little brother showed true love and selflessness this Christmas. I love him so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment